Now Hiring: B-Corp Improvement Officer - Summer Internship or Co-op Position
Equator Coffee Roasters is an Ontario-based, mission-driven coffee roasting company from the friendly town of Almonte, Ontario. We exist to connect the coffee drinker to the coffee farmer, from one family to another. We believe the world is a better place with better coffee that is sourced ethically and cared for organically. At Equator, coffee is more than just a beautiful beverage; it is a way of changing the world for the better.
As a Certified B Corporation, we are committed to sustainability. An integral aspect of sustainability is continual improvement – we’ll never be perfect but we won’t stop trying to get better! The time between assessments (3 years) is an opportunity to plan, budget, and prioritize areas of growth and improvement. We have created a position to help us work on these duties. The Equator B Corp Improvement Officer Internship Program is designed to give a student the opportunity to learn about the B Corp movement and how it works at a business, and to work with Equator to develop and implement new best practices to help increase our B Corp impact score AND make us an even better business!
- Summer Internship or Co-op Position
- 16 week placement starting May1
- *Eligible work placements must be a requirement as part of the student's college or university study plan. This can include co-operative education, internships, field placements and applied research projects. The work placement as part of the student's study plan will be verified when confirming student eligibility.
- Location: Almonte Roastery Location with possibility of some remote work
B Corp Improvement Duties:
- Learn about B Corporation Certification
- “Certified B Corporations are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. This is a community of leaders, driving a global movement of people using business as a force for good.”
- Review and study Equator’s B Corp Assessment results
- Review Equator’s overall B Corp Improvement Plan
- Work with supervisor to determine area of focus for improvement: environmental stewardship, worker wellbeing, community engagement, or corporate social responsibility in governance.
- Develop plan and strategy to propose and execute B Corp Improvements within the selected area of focus – aiming for 10-20 point improvement in BIA score
- Consider how Equator can integrate Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into the improvement plan and our corporate sustainability reporting
- Aid with the implementation of the implementation plan
- Create a good “succession plan” so that the improvements can continue even once the internship is done!
- Be generally helpful and willing to step in where needed in the office, warehouse, and/or cafes
- Bag coffee if and when needed
- Answer phones/inquiries if and when needed
- Support café staff if and when needed
- Passionate about sustainability – any relevant experience is an asset!
- Team player, helpful and motivated
- Organized – good time management and ability to multitask
- Positive, warm, friendly attitude willing to go above and beyond!
- Ability to work in Almonte 3 days per week
Terms and Compensation:
- Hours: full time (35-40 hours per week)
- Length: 16 weeks (co-op)
- Wages: $18-20 / hour depending on experience/abilities
- Free coffee during internship!
To apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com.