HIRING: Production Assistant Almonte
Equator Coffee Roasters is an Ontario-based, mission-driven coffee roasting company from the friendly town of Almonte, Ontario. We exist to connect the coffee drinker to the coffee farmer, from one family to another. We believe the world is a better place with better quality coffee that is sourced ethically and cared for organically. At Equator, coffee is more than just a beautiful beverage; it’s a way to change the world for the better.
We are a tight team of easy-going, efficiency-driven, caffeine-guzzling, coffee people. You’ll interact with roasted coffee, learn how to use semi-automated packing equipment, and have opportunities to cross-train in any production role. You’ll even get to add your favourite songs to the Spotify playlist we rock out to. This is a part-time position (24-30 hours a week) with standard days of work being Monday to Wednesday, although during busy seasons and long weekends, there could be working days on Thursdays or Fridays.
The Production Team Member’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Product Preparation and Delivery
- Participating in all stages of prepping, bagging, grinding, sealing, shelving, picking, packing and shipping
- Keeping pace with production timelines and staying focused on the task at hand
- Handling anomalies in the production process pleasantly and professionally
- Ensuring quality control through regular testing and adjusting during shift to produce product within specifications and rejecting product outside of specifications
- Participating in weekly team meetings to set goals and priorities for the week and give feedback
Cleaning & Maintenance
- Ensuring that pre- and post-production procedures are completed in a safe, productive manner
- Keeping warehouse (including all workspaces, common spaces, and bathroom) clean at all times
- Maintaining essential production equipment throughout shift (cleaning, adjusting, troubleshooting)
- Participating in daily, weekly and monthly cleaning & maintenance procedures
- Following health, safety, food safety and organic procedures according to established standards
Optional Tasks (assigned to one or more team member as needed)
- Becoming a cold brew coffee brew master
- Assisting with or becoming a back-up driver for our delivery route or fresh delivery program
- Taking on prep tasks such as labelling and organizing bags and packaging supplies
- Inventory management including ordering, counting and communicating with vendors
- Possibility to work in our café as a customer service representative or barista
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and abilities required to perform this job.
- Ability to be able to move/lift heavy boxes (approximately 50 lbs) and be on your feet all day
- Ability to work in a team, be a self-starter and a desire to keep learning!
- Avoid wearing perfumes or strong deodorants (coffee absorbs odors readily)
- Valid G license and clean abstract (requirement if being hired for back-up driver role)
- A good understanding of packing/shipping
- A good disposition towards clients/customers (mostly when making deliveries)
- A good understanding of Ottawa streets and locations
- Inventory management experience
Equator Coffee Roasters prides itself on providing a work atmosphere that is pleasant, productive and supportive.
VISION AND VALUES
Equator’s Production Team Members will always act in harmony with Equator’s Vision and Values.
Passion: Service with Purpose
Our Niche: We source, roast and deliver fair trade, organic specialty coffee.
Target Market/”The List”: Coffee resellers with compatible values within a 2-day delivery radius including small-chain/independent grocery stores, quality-focused beverage service providers and retailers, fundraisers and charities. Priority for customers with high-volume, predictable orders.
Guarantee: You Will Always Have Coffee! We want to be your best supplier!
TIME EXPECTATIONS AND COMPENSATION
- Shift times will most often be 8 hours in length (8am-4pm) from Monday to Friday with a half-hour unpaid lunch break. Thursdays are “on-call” days – generally off unless we have a high-volume week. The team may be sent home early on days where production volume does not require a full day.
- Production team members will start at minimum wage + $1 unless joining the team with significant previous training or experience. Wage will increase with time worked and as additional roles or major responsibilities are added.
- All new employees are subject to an initial 3-month probationary period in order to determine best fit for the job.
- Team members receive medical expense coverage (after probationary period), sick days, personal days, a flexible work environment, café discounts and FREE COFFEE. Details can be found in the Equator Employee Handbook.
Please email your resume to email@example.com